Home |  Active Topics |  Members |  Search Forums |  FAQ     
 All Forums      B.E.A.M Robots     BEAM Robot Circuitry
 Printer Friendly  New Topic     Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

adam123
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  12:28:59  Show Profile  Visit adam123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am building a light sensing BEAM robot as part of an engineering project, but my knowledge on electronics is very poor. I was wondering if someone could help me with the circuit. My robot is going to be light sensing with a touch sensor around its perimeter so that it can avoid obstacles. It is effectively a modern version of the first BEAM robots built by William Grey Walter.

I do not want the circuit to have any microprocessors or arduinos, only transistors. My robot has a steering motor, drive motor, a light sensor and touch sensor (to avoid obstacles) with a 4 x AA battery power supply. I was hoping someone could help me by showing how to wire up the circuit using transistors, with either a circuit diagram or description of some sort. Any help would be great!

Bob
Serious Geek!

United Kingdom
1263 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2014 :  17:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Adam

Have you looked at JunkBots, Bugbots, and Bots on Wheels: Building Simple Robots With BEAM Technology by David Hrynkiw and Mark Tilden? That has several BEAM circuits and I think there is one similar to the system you are looking for. (I can't check because I gave my copy of the book away a few years ago)

I am not sure that the BEAM philosophy is the best approach for your system. I think I would look at using OP Amps to deal with output of the light sensor. For sure you have a very interesting problem.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

slurp
Geek!

United Kingdom
497 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  08:29:13  Show Profile  Visit slurp's Homepage  Send slurp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You'll find a few different circuits here: http://www.tombot.net/beam/robotcircuits.html

You may not find exactly what you want but there'll be variations on light and bump, with a little effort you should be able to pull what you need together.

Best regards,
Colin

--

www.minisumo.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly  New Topic     Reply to Topic
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000