Home |  Active Topics |  Members |  Search Forums |  FAQ     
 All Forums      Mechanical     Glue Gun Injection Moulding
 Printer Friendly  New Topic     Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

slurp
Geek!

United Kingdom
497 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  22:11:57  Show Profile  Visit slurp's Homepage  Send slurp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is a brilliant idea for small plastic components:

http://youtu.be/_ECiPkK4S6E

This comes from http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk (formerly MUTR) where they have a kit (or parts that may get you started). Their info sheet gives a great over view.

I may have to try this :D

regards,
Colin

--

www.minisumo.org.uk

slurp
Geek!

United Kingdom
497 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  19:50:26  Show Profile  Visit slurp's Homepage  Send slurp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Got around to making a mould for a wheel and giving it a go... some success but a little more work to do.

More here as it develops

--

www.minisumo.org.uk

Edited by - slurp on 11 Mar 2014 19:51:40
Go to Top of Page

slurp
Geek!

United Kingdom
497 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2014 :  08:54:55  Show Profile  Visit slurp's Homepage  Send slurp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

This was the latest image for the glue gun moulded wheel wheel, this one has the tyre moulded to the rim. There's a couple of defects, partly due to thickness of the tyre making it difficult to pour into the mould... it was an open top mould at this stage, close mould and injection may have been an alternative but I'm likely to open the diameter for easier pour.

--

www.minisumo.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Bob
Serious Geek!

United Kingdom
1263 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2014 :  17:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Colin

How many squeezes of the trigger does it take to mould the wheel? In some of your moulding there seems to be some sign of flow patterns. Are these where the front edge of the hot plastic momentarily halted in between squeezes?

It might be worth pulling a glue gun apart to get the hot extruder and then fit this onto a screw press so you can maintain a constant pressure on the glue stick.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

slurp
Geek!

United Kingdom
497 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2014 :  17:15:25  Show Profile  Visit slurp's Homepage  Send slurp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I don't recall how many but it was 1/2 a glue stick worth of squeezing. The cooling makes it impossible for the low flow guns and I needed to increase the cross section to allow this to flow enough to work without back flow through the gun. Working a hot mould can allow for thinner sections and fewer flow signs but it's more difficult to handle overall.

The strip-down might be an idea but I've seen alternative methods with aluminium blocks heated by soldering iron inserts. The application used recycled plastic milk bottles and used either a press drill or a custom frame to apply the injection pressure.

This was trying to keep it simple. I've a flat to mill on the bolt to mimic the motor gearbox shaft but I've limited access to tools. So far no plans for more parts... some possible ideas may require a more sophisticated injection tool ;)

best regards,
colin

--

www.minisumo.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly  New Topic     Reply to Topic
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000