Home |  Active Topics |  Members |  Search Forums |  FAQ     
 All Forums      Mechanical     Motor needed
 Printer Friendly  New Topic     Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mtranter
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2011 :  18:58:57  Show Profile  Visit mtranter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

I realise this is a little off topic in terms of robotics, but thought it might be where the expertise is.

I am trying to find a motor that you could attach a chuck to and have somewhere around 2.5kgcm torque, with a speed variable between 60rpm and 180rpm, controllable with a foot pedal (smilar to a sewing machine pedal). Ideally there would be a clutch in there as well. Hope you can help.

Thanks,
Matt

mike23
Average Member

United Kingdom
165 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  19:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't say what voltage etc, but I recommend car wind-screen wiper motors. They are incredibly well made and you can pick them up for about 1 pound in a scrap yard, much better than most motors sold for robotics etc.

They usually terminate in a worm gearbox so have HUGE torque

Edited by - mike23 on 28 Jul 2011 19:56:48
Go to Top of Page

Bob
Serious Geek!

United Kingdom
1263 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  19:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Matt and welcome to RobotBuilder

Just looking at the speed you want it looks as if you will need a geared motor. I would look for a permanent magnet DC motor as these are the easiest to control using PWM ,basically switching the power on and off very quickly, the greater the proportion of time the motor is off the slower it runs, but don't expect PWM to run a simple motor at the speeds you require, as I wrote before, you will need reduction gears to get these speeds.

The sort of motors likely to fit the bill are often termed gearhead motors.

Quick look on ebay brought up this motor http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300-RPM-Heavy-Duty-Gearhead-Motor-24V-V-High-Torque-/280701794091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415b21772b (Can't be sure how long this link will work for)

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Bob
Serious Geek!

United Kingdom
1263 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  20:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike23

You don't say what voltage etc, but I recommend car wind-screen wiper motors. They are incredibly well made and you can pick them up for about 1 pound in a scrap yard, much better than most motors sold for robotics etc.

I would go along with Mike on this. These are some tutorials somewhere on modiflying these motors for robotics. They were very popular for 12Kg class robots a few years ago

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Bob
Serious Geek!

United Kingdom
1263 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  20:14:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

quote:
Originally posted by mike23

I would go along with Mike on this. These are some tutorials somewhere on modiflying these motors for robotics. They were very popular for 12Kg class robots a few years ago

Bob

Post script : Have a look at this post http://www.robotbuilder.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=756&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=wiper

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly  New Topic     Reply to Topic
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000